From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:16:09
1 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:55 +0100, b.n. wrote:
2
3 > > But i still think a Gentoo-Install-CD/DVD is a good thing.
4 >
5 > Any practical reason for that?
6
7 It is a lot more comfortable for the first-time installer. One of the
8 problems with mixing components for various sources is knowing where to
9 turn for help when things go wrong. A single source means a single point
10 of contact, and no chance of each supplier blaming the other's component.
11
12 While a Gentoo install CD is not essential for installing Gentoo, it is a
13 good thing to have. It also allows you to install without a network
14 connection if you have a single CD containing the handbook, tools,
15 portage snapshot and stage files. That's how I installed my new desktop
16 last year, because the install CD didn't support my network card (nor did
17 the latest stable kernel).
18
19 So while an official install disc is not necessary for installation for
20 many people, it is a part of what Gentoo should offer. Note that I'm
21 referring to what is now called the minimal CD, the GUI installer CD is
22 still a waste of resources IMO.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 I distinctly remember forgetting that.