From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was: What can cause printer to crop top of page?] /etc/papersize is ignored
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 16:19:07
1 On 29/12/2017 16:30, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 29 December 2017 13:57:31 GMT Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think the bug is that "A4" has to be set in so many places, where "so
5 >> many" means more than one. In a well designed printing system, there
6 >> would be just one place to set it.
7 >
8 > And that would have to be /etc/papersize, no?
9
10 No, not really. IIRC that comes from ages back in time when lpd was all
11 the rage and really refers to the computer *driving* the printer, not
12 the computer *using* the printer
13
14 Nowadays you can have as many printers as you want (even printers that
15 are not physical objects, like pdf) and each printer can have as many
16 different page sizes as it has trays.
17
18 The only "correct" place for papersize nowadays is in whatever the user
19 is using to get something to print. And there are lots of those.
20 Something like CUPS ought to make it all so much easier but I find CUPS
21 just makes my life insanely difficult. So I mail my docs to my wife and
22 she prints them from Windows for me
23
24
25 >
26 >>> I'm posting this here to save others time, should they come across the
27 >>> same problem.
28 >>
29 >> I've been luckier with printing, but thanks all the same. Who knows
30 >> when I might no longer be so lucky.
31 >
32 > Indeed.
33 >
34