From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Oddity in eix database
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:33:14
1 On Thursday 20 November 2014 16:26:40 Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > The following installed packages are not in the database:
4 > >
5 > > virtual/-MERGING-perl-CPAN-Meta-YAML
6 >
7 > portage generates such a directory or file in /var/db/pkg
8 > when it is merging the package. When portage exits
9 > (even uncleanly), this entry should be removed.
10 >
11 > If it still exists, it means that portage died in a bad
12 > way (strange error, power failure or kill -9 signal).
13 >
14 > It is safe to remove this file/dir from /var/db/pkg,
15 > but I would recommend to re-emerge the corresponding package
16 > (perl-CPAN-Meta-YAML in your case):
17 > It might be that portage has partially merged some
18 > files of the package but not yet all of them, or
19 > something similar. You might get collision messages
20 > when you try to re-emerge.
21
22 Ah, I see. So I have now removed the offending directory. I didn't have that
23 package installed (so I don't know why it left that directory, dated 6 Nov),
24 but I emerged it single-shot, then ran emerge --depclean, which removed it
25 again.
26
27 Everything tidied up neatly - thanks Martin.
30 Rgds
31 Peter.