From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making a new frame-buffer console font
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 15:34:06
1 On Wednesday 04 February 2015 09:19:20 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > A bit of a tangent... do you know of any font editors that will
4 > convert a font to "double-wide"? E.g. convert 8x8 to 16x8, 8x12 to
5 > 16x12, or 8x16 to 16x16.
6
7 I think that would be a bit of a tall order, unless you're happy to
8 accept glyphs all having double-thickness vertical lines.
9
10 > The reason I ask is because I have a laptop with a 1280x800 screen.
11 > Back in the old days, the native VGA display would've been 80 columns
12 > across. But now with framebuffer drivers, the straight text display
13 > is almost unreadable 160 columns across.
14
15 Yes, that's what started me off on my hunt for acceptable fonts. This
16 desktop screen is 27" and 1920x1080: evidently designed for 1080p video.
17
18 > Going to the Sun 12x22 font gives me 107 columns across, but that's
19 > still not good.
20
21 That one has serifs, doesn't it? Serif fonts work well in print with its
22 much higher resolution, but IMO they're not a good idea on screens.
23
24 > That's why I'm looking for 16-pixel-wide fonts, either freely
25 > available, or try to generate them from existing 8-pixel-wide fonts.
26
27 From my own experience I can only suggest terminus-font; you might find
28 an acceptable compromise there as its heights range from 12 to 32
29 pixels, so I suppose its widths will range from 6 to 16. Or perhaps some
30 font will call itself [something]-wide.
31
32 There's also the problem that most work in typeface design these days
33 (not counting the print world) seems to be in graphical settings -- X
34 etc. -- so anything new would need some sort of conversion for use in a
35 console.
36
37 Good luck in your hunt! I expect you'll need it :-(
40 Rgds
41 Peter.