From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sound in KDE-4
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:35:35
1 Hello list,
2
3 Having finished building KDE on my new box (if that task can ever be
4 considered finished) I'm now tying up some loose ends.
5
6 When I log in to kde via kdm, I get a dialogue box telling me it wants to
7 remove my sound devices. It says "KDE detected that one or more internal
8 sound devices were removed. Do you want KDE to permanently forget about
9 these devices? This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
10 Capture: HDA Intel (); Output: HDA Intel ()".
11
12 I don't get the log-in sound played. Later, though, Firefox and Flash manage
13 between them to stream BBC radio to the speakers and I can listen to the
14 music.
15
16 What's going on here? The Gentoo sound page is woefully out of date, and the
17 KDE page is concerned with other things. I haven't found anything useful
18 about Gentoo and phonon.
19
20 The only sound hardware in the box is on the Asus P7P55D motherboard; it's
21 an Intel HD Ibex Peak high-definition audio chip according to lspci:
22
23 $ sudo lspci -v -s 00:1b.0
24 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio (rev
25 05)
26 Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8375
27 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
28 Memory at f7ff8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
29 Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
30 Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
31 Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
32 Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
33 Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
34 Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
35 Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
36
37 The kernel clearly has control of the device, as I can hear some sounds.
38
39 Any ideas?
42 Rgds
43 Peter.