From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot from a USB device on old hardware
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 08:57:33
1 On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 08:44:25 -0000, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2
3 > sorry, this is a bit off topic.
4 > I have old hardware where the BIOS cannot boot from an USB device.
5 > For testing a Gentoo problem (Balsa) I need to boot an older system.
6 > Is it possible to boot from a cdrom drive and then "switch" to the
7 > kernel with the full init process on a separate (USB) drive?
8 > Is it possible with some Grub2 "tricks"?
9
10 It is possible with GRUB, creating a menu entry that boots your USB
11 stick, but how you do this very much depends on how the USB stick is set
12 up.
13
14 Alternatively, use the PLOP bootloader from a CD, which can then boot
15 from USB - https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable