From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:45:18
1 El Jue, 5 de Febrero de 2009, 12:36, Nikos Chantziaras escribió:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:.
5 >>
6 >>>> I can't think of a single reason why the installer should operate
7 >>>> in a different manner to the way the thing will be used.
8 >>> Because installation is boring. The easier it is, the better.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> wrong. The installation needs a certain difficulty to keep idiots away.
12 >> Nobody
13 >> needs idiots (except maybe ubuntu).
14 >
15 > That is insulting. My mother uses Ubuntu. Thanks for calling her an
16 > idiot. Obviously if someone wants to use his computer in order to get
17 > something done without doing a Ph.D on Portage and /etc first, then that
18 > person is an idiot.
19 >
20 > Great thinking. Fortunately, there are people (like the Ubuntu folks)
21 > who don't think that way and are trying to make Linux more popular to
22 > people who need a computer to do tasks that are not related to the
23 > computer itself.
24
25 I don't agree with the way to see it of Nikos. However, even if
26 I agree with you in that having Ubuntu (which is another choice)
27 is a good thing, I don't agree that Gentoo should be
28 yet-another-ubuntu.
29
30 Gentoo is Gentoo, and Ubuntu is Ubuntu. If your mother uses Ubuntu,
31 that's fine. But we don't need to lower the acceptance level of
32 Gentoo so your mother can use it.
33
34 I think that it's fair to ask a minimal degree of will to read
35 and learn for a distro like Gentoo. The rest of Gentoo users do
36 it, no one died that I know of because of it.
39 Jesús Guerrero