From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 23:18:56
1 Am 08.01.2015 um 00:02 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > In my opinion, ansible almost always beats puppet.
4 >
5 > Puppet is a) complex b) built to be able to deal with vast enterprise
6 > setups and c) has a definition language I never could wrap my brains
7 > around. It always felt to me like puppet was never a good fit for my needs.
8 >
9 > Then ansible hit the scene. Now ansible is designed to do what sysadmins
10 > do anyway, to do it in mostly the same way, and to do it in an automated
11 > fashion. It fits nicely into my brain and I can read a playbook at a
12 > glance to know what it does.
13 >
14 > Ansible deploys stuff and makes it like how you want it to be. It is
15 > equally good at managing 1000 identical machines as 100 mostly the same
16 > ones, or 20 totally different ones. How it manages this miracle is not
17 > easy to explain, so I urge you to give it a test drive. Fool around with
18 > a bunch of VMs to get a feel of how it works. A tip: keep it simple, and
19 > use roles everywhere.
20 >
21 > Ansible works nicely with other tools like vagrant and docker which
22 > build and deploy your base images. Once you have a base machine with
23 > sshd running and an administrative login account, ansible takes over an
24 > manages the rest. It works really well.
25
26 Thanks for the pointer, Alan.
27
28 I will look into ansible asap ... installed it on my basement server
29 already, but it's rather late in my $TIMEZONE ...
30
31 > On the business side of things, yes indeed you need to rationalize
32 > things and what you offer to customers. There comes a point where you
33 > the business grows and you just can't manage all these different things.
34 > Mistakes get made, SLAs slip, and everyone gets annoyed.
35
36 exactly. $NEXTSTEP.
37
38 > On how to track all that real-world data you mentioned, I have a few
39 > rules of my own. Monitor and track everything I can, get and store as
40 > much info out of logs as I can. All the info you need is in there
41 > somewhere. But how to get it is a problem highly specific to your
42 > business. Maybe start some new threads each one with a specific
43 > question, and watch for common solutions in the answers?
44
45 will do as soon as I am there, yes.
46
47 S