From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 09:53:13
1 On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 09:17:45 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 05 August 2015 17:52:28 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 16:26:02 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > Oh, and do you know why the handbook now says to include a tiny
6 > > > grub partition before the boot partition, even on an MBR system?
7 > >
8 > > If you use GPT on a motherboard with BIOS, you need that partition.
9 > >
10 > > It's on UEFI systems that you don't need it.
11 >
12 > Yes, I know that. It's why I asked.
13
14 I see what you're saying now, they are recommending it even if you don't
15 use GPT, using a DOS partition table instead? I don't see the sense in
16 that because you cannot set the appropriate partition type anyway with a
17 DOS partition table? I suppose it could make switching to GPT at a later
18 date less painful.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 BBS: (n.) a system for connecting computers and exchanging gossip,
25 facts, and uninformed speculation under false names.