From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 08:17:42
1 On Monday, 9 May 2022 15:38:30 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 9 May 2022 14:56:42 BST karl@××××××××.se wrote:
3 > > Peter:
4 > > ...
5 > >
6 > > > What would help is some idea of how the whole BT system works,
7 > >
8 > > ...
9 > >
10 > > There are two incompatible types of bluetooth:
11 > > Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
12 > > Bluetooth Classic
13 > >
14 > > see:
15 > > https://www.bluetooth.com/learn-about-bluetooth/tech-overview/
16 > >
17 > > You must check which generation of bluetooth your speaker uses.
18 > >
19 > > If your speaker uses the classic type, this might help you:
20 > > https://wiki.debian.org/Bluetooth/Alsa
21 > >
22 > > ///
23 > >
24 > > More info about bluetooth:
25 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
26 > > https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/specs/
27 > >
28 > > ///
29 > >
30 > > Current linux bluetooth tools (http://www.bluez.org/) doesn't
31 > > handle bluetooth classic, unless you build bluez with
32 > > --enable-deprecated configure option.
33 > >
34 > > Also, bluez has dropped direct /dev file access for users, you
35 > >
36 > > have to set up and go through dbus regardless wether you like it
37 > > or not.
38 > >
39 > > Regards,
40 > > /Karl Hammar
41 >
42 > I've met some success getting BT to work and I tend to follow these basic
43 > steps:
44 >
45 > 1. Configure the kernel according to the BT chipset available on the PC.
46 >
47 > 2. Power the BT chip by using whatever hardware button is available and
48 > check dmesg identified the device and loaded whatever module and firmware
49 > is necessary.
50 >
51 > 3. Use 'rfkill list' to check the device is not blocked and unblock it if
52 > necessary.
53 >
54 > 4. Run 'rc-service -v bluetooth start'.
55 >
56 > 5. Run 'bluetoothctl' to scan, list, pair and trust any peripherals -
57 > exchange a PIN to facilitate pairing as necessary.
58 >
59 > These steps should be relatively easy to complete and GUI tools are also
60 > available to assist with the above. Any problems thereafter are userspace
61 > related, i.e. whether the applications I use will be able to work with the
62 > BT peripherals. Audio has been problematic on a particular use case, where
63 > neither alsa (bluez-alsa), nor pulseaudio allowed me to output audio via
64 > BT. Eventually I tried blueman which after a couple of restarts helped
65 > pulseaudio to recognise the device and output audio through it.
66
67 Yes, I went through all that, just as you said, but still I got no sound.
68
69 > In all cases I prefer cables to temperamental radio connectivity and where
70 > quality matters, like it can be in some audio applications, I would seek to
71 > connect with a cable.
72
73 Indeed, and I've now replaced the speakers, the 3.5mm cable and the USB
74 dongle - every sound component is new. When I tested it yesterday in the
75 plasma control panel, I heard one "front left", very loud, and then nothing. I
76 thought some BT stuff must still be lying around somewhere, so I've installed a
77 new system from scratch, using a kernel .config from before I started with BT,
78 and today I still hear no sound.
79
80 This seems like witchcraft now.
83 Regards,