From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendatoin for a new server
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:48:55
1 On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:31:10 +0600
2 El Nino <adaptit@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > i'm looking for sata raid,amd opteron & around 1GB ram.
7 I wouldn't worry about whether it's parallel or sata raid. If you
8 need high i/o it needs to be SCSI. Otherwise either IDE or SATA works fine
9 with little difference in performance between the two.
10
11 Also, IDE/SATA drives will need to be replaced at a higher rate than SCSI
12 drives. Just a fact of life.
13
14 > has anyone built a server recently that worked?
15 >
16 > 1) can anyone give me a suggestions for a good(cost-effective)
17 > server(good with gentoo).
20 I've been using a Penguin computing 1U for almost 2 years now. And I run
21 a home built dual Opteron - Tyan Thunder motherboard. Stay away from
22 MSI and ASUS if reliability is a major concern. So far the only real
23 problem has been one Opteron having a flakey memory controller. Only
24 fails on specific things - emerging nvidia-glx/kernel. Replacing both
25 cpus next week.
26
27 Bob
28 -