From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:35:50
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 00:29:18 Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 >>> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:53:16 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a
12 >>>> configuration designed to be changed by the user renders the package
13 >>>> virtually unusable. Given a choice between me as a developer struggling
14 >>>> with a config parser versus vast swathes of users dumping the package
15 >>>> because of the same parser, I'd say it's me that has to work harder,
16 >>>> not my users.
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>> If we are truly trying to make Linux more accessible, with things like
20 >>> the plug and play hal offers, should we even be contemplating editing
21 >>> config files?
22 >>>
23 >>> XML is a machine-readable file format that just happens to use ASCII
24 >>> characters, it is not meant to be modified by a text editor, so if your
25 >>> program uses XML configuration files, it should include a means of
26 >>> editing those files that does not include the use of vim.
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>
30 >> which almost by definition means you need an xml-information parser on par
31 >> with an xml-parser to figure out what the hell the fields mean, then design
32 >> an intelligent viewer-editor thingy that lets the user add-delete-change the
33 >> information in the xml file. All the while displaying to the user at least
34 >> some information about the fields in view. Shaes of .chm anyone?
35 >>
36 >> By the time you've done all that and made the thing semi-usable, you've
37 >> expended more effort than if you had written you own xml-parser from
38 >> scratch. In C, python and perl. Plus C++ for good measure just to show how
39 >> clever you are.
40 >>
41 >> As said before by someone else, hal and everything about it is a classic
42 >> case of "second system syndrome". It should be a comp-sci object case :-)
47 > I bet if hal had a easier to alter config file, I could have gotten my
48 > keyboard and mouse to work. Having the config file in xml format would be
49 > fine, IF it works out of the box with no configuring at all. Thing is, in
50 > my case and a few others, it needed a little bit of help to work. Some
51 > figured out how to make it work but my light bulb burned out and we all know
52 > where that ended up.
53 >
54 > I suspect that the underlying part of hal works fine. It MAY have worked
55 > fine for me if it was configured properly. The config part seems to have
56 > been at least some of its shortcoming. Take hal, redo the config file and
57 > try again. May work. ;-)
60 Or, at least provide a easy config UI (both X and non-X) for the XML files,
61 so you never have to worry about the syntax or the complexity of the config
62 files...
63
64 -James
67 > Dale