From: Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Virtualbox-ing existing WinXP
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 00:55:22
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 04 May 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:47:13 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 >>> I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the
5 >>> same partition image it will not ask me to re-register it.
6 >> But it's not the same hardware, you are now running it on the VB virtual
7 >> hardware.
8 >
9 > Sure, but it's the same physical drive & IDE controller, no?
10 Yes, but the way a virtual machine works is that it creates its own set
11 of "hardware" and emulates that hardware for the OS you're running. The
12 VM software itself acts as a bridge between calls made to this virtual
13 "hardware" and the true hardware in your system.
14
15 The three days is from the time you first boot the machine in the VM -
16 it remembers, even if it's shut down.
17
18 -Tim
19 --
20 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list