From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new machine : mouse trouble
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:23:38
1 My new machine boots & has the basic software installed.
2 Fluxbox starts & I can stop it via its menu & the keyboard.
3
4 However, it doesn't recognise my Logitech optical mouse,
5 which doesn't show up in the 'dmesg' list nor as /dev/input/mouse0 .
6
7 It's not a hardware problem : rebooting into System Rescue
8 without touching the connections results in a working mouse
9 & it is listed correctly there by 'dmesg' & as /dev/input/mouse0 .
10
11 I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
12 but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
13 I used the older .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig'
14 & then thro' 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain.
15 Has anything changed in Kernel 3.5 ?
16
17 /etc/make.conf has the line INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
18 Udev doesn't seem to differ significantly.
19
20 Google doesn't help, the Gentoo Wiki seems a bit out of date,
21 the User's Guide doesn't add anything. Unfortunately,
22 when I started using a USB mouse back in 2007 ,
23 I didn't make a note of what I did to get it working, as I usually do.
24
25 Can anyone suggest what I'm missing ?
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca