From: Steve Wilson <steve+gentoo_users@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] apache blocking access based country
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 23:44:46
1 On 08/12/2020 22:55, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > What are my options apache blocking access based on country?
3 > So fare I run onto something "geoip" or ACL (long list of IP's provided by eg:)
4 > https://www.ip2location.com/free/visitor-blocker
5 >
6 > We geoip I think I will need to install some module for apache (apache 2.2). It is using geoip.dat so it must be a long list of as well. But they are not offering any free version.
7 > wget http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCountry/GeoIP.dat.gz (doesn't work)
8 If you don't need to provide information in the browser to blocked
9 users, you could look at net-firewall/xtables-addons with
10 XTABLES_ADDONS="geoip". This will allow you to block access to apache at
11 the network level.
12
13 I use this as the first step to limit ssh access to one of my servers:
14 `iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m geoip ! --src-cc GB -m
15 comment --comment "Drop SSH from outside GB" -j DROP`
16
17 This has the advantage that apache doesn't need to process the request,
18 but a possible downside that you won't be able to display a message if
19 that's a requirement.
20
21 Steve