From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] no more inodes
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:03:06
1 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Ok, thanks everybody, getting ready to dive in and fix this thing. Two
3 > more questions please:
4 >
5 > I modified the bottom of /etc/fstab to look like this according to a
6 > post in the eee forum:
7 > ...
8 > #shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,sosuid,noexec 0 0
9 > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
10 >
11 > Does this have anything to do with the inode issue?
12 >
13 > What's the best fs for a 4G SSD? I picked ext3 because of another eee
14 > forum post.
15 >
16 > Maxim
20 Since I have a old install, maybe the new fstabs don't have this info.
21 This is what is in mine:
24 # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
25 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
26 # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
27 # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
28 # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
29 # use almost no memory if not populated with files)
30 # Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
31 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
34 From that I gather that the system won't boot without /proc and that
35 glibc requires /dev/shm for some reason or other. I'm not sure why you
36 want to remove something that appears to be required. Maybe you have
37 something different that doesn't need this?
38
39 Hope that helps.
40
41 Dale