From: "mike@×××××××.us" <mike@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] older machine and video packages
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 02:17:49
1 On 02/14/2012 08:37 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > On my older x86 machine, I get this when trying to update:
3 >
4 > WARNING: One or more updates have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:
5 >
6 > x11-base/xorg-server:0
7 >
8 > (x11-base/xorg-server-1.11.2-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
9 > conflicts with
10 > <x11-base/xorg-server-1.11 required by
11 > (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.31::gentoo, installed)
12
13 The only way that you'll be able to resolve this is to remove the
14 nvidia-drivers package and switch to Nouveau. If Nouveau works with
15 your graphics chipset, it is win-win, since that driver is maintained in
16 the kernel tree. Otherwise, keep checking to see if it becomes supported.
17
18 You can work around it by masking ">x11-base/xorg-server-1.11", but that
19 will (eventually) begin to cause problems as the rest of the system
20 evolves around it.
21
22 Is 173.14.xx the last driver that supports your card, or will any newer
23 one support your card? Which chipset is your card using?
24
25 --- Mike
28 A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
29 than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
30 --- Carveth Read, “Logic”