From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Catastrophic bug in the firefox 'ProfileManager' function
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 23:19:03
1 I suspect most people don't even know firefox has a ProfileManager, but
2 I'm here to warn you not to use it. It just cost me years of bookmarks
3 and saved passwords.
4
5 For testing purposes I invoked firefox-bin with the -ProfileManager
6 flag (don't do this, it's broken!) and created a fresh firefox profile
7 with the name "temp" as I've been doing for years.
8
9 I ran the "temp" profile while doing my testing, quit firefox and then
10 re-invoked firefox with the -ProfileManager flag and used it to delete
11 the "temp" profile because I didn't need it any more.
12
13 Unfortunately, deleting "temp" also deleted the "default" profile I've
14 been using for years, which had all of my bookmarks and saved passwords
15 and maybe other stuff I haven't even thought about yet.
16
17 I'm copying an old firefox profile from another machine that's four
18 years out of date. Maybe I can rescue an ort here or there.
19
20 What a fscking disaster.
21
22 Lesson learned: if you need to start firefox with a fresh profile,
23 just move your ~/.mozilla directory out of the way and let firefox
24 create a new one from scratch.