From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kworker using 100% cpu
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 09:54:02
1 Hi Andreas,
2
3 On Monday, 4 March 2019 19:44:19 GMT Andreas Fink wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 > I have a problem which uses 100% of one cpu core on my HP-15-bs114ng
6 > notebook.
7
8 I had come across the same problem on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro:
9
10 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/
11 417dfa5af8e9fb76a66fe4816bdc7c44
14 > I figured out already that it is somehow related to ACPI
15 > interrupts, since the following command will return the system to normal:
16 > echo disable > /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe16
17
18 Yes, I had to do the same and repeat after each boot. I can't recall if I
19 added this in a script so I didn't have to run it manually each time.
22 > The content of this "file" is the following:
23 > 3749821 STS disabled unmasked
24 >
25 > The first column is the number of interrupts, that happened, which is very
26 > high, hence the 100% cpu usage in one kworker process.
27 >
28 > My question would be the following now:
29 > 1. What could be the side effects of disabling this interrupt?
30
31 I did not discover any side effects. The CPU would return back to normal and
32 the overheating problem went away. This does not mean some key functionality
33 was not affected, but I never discovered anything relevant. I did not debug
34 the kernel at the time to bottom out what exactly caused this.
37 > 2. What could trigger the interrupt?
38
39 I don't know. I only had this MacBook Pro for a few months, so I never got to
40 the bottom of it.
43 > 3. How can this be debugged further and reported, i.e. who would be able to
44 > fix it?
45
46 Have a look here:
47
48 https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/3/31/144
49
50 Then it will need to be reported to BGO and perhaps upstream to kernel devs.
53 > (This happens on all kernels, since I have the notebook, i.e. >= 4.17)
54
55 If your HP notebook's MoBo or CPU are similar to my 2014 MacBook Pro, then
56 this has been a problem at least since the 3.x series kernel.
57
58 I hope you get to the bottom of it.
61 Regards,
62 Mick