From: Michael Smith <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Definitely OT] Recommendations for getting started in Web design
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:55:04
1 Start with learning about design and editing.
2
3 You'll want to learn standards-compliant HTML, CSS and Javascript.
4
5 The best editing tools to date are a decent text editor that has some syntax
6 intelligence, a good scripting language such as perl or python, and a
7 version-control system such as CVS or Subversion (SVN).
8
9 I use php, bluefish and SVN, but I don't really like php -- it changes too much
10 between versions.
11
12 The best reference materials are Google, Google and Google. Secondarily
13 _Javascript: The Definitive Guide_, _Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive
14 Guide_, and anything else by O'Reilly are usually good.
15
16 I haven't edited my site in a very long time, but the links page is still good.
17 Here: http://www.smith-li.com/links.php
18
19 Finally, experience is the only decent teacher. Find a charity or nonprofit
20 organization and volunteer to help with their Web site. Be persistent -- You
21 *will* run into problems, mostly with Internet Explorer.
22
23 #javascript and #css on freenode are invaluable if you are thick-skinned
24
25 OK, 'nuff said, go design!
26
27 Peace out,
28 Mike
31 John J. Foster wrote:
32 > Good afternoon,
33 >
34 > I'm looking to get started in Web design, with the long term goal of
35 > bringing a business (mine) online. I know nothing about design, what
36 > to look for in choosing a hosting service, editing tools, or good
37 > reference materials. Basically, I'm quite a newbie in this area.
38 >
39 > Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
40 >
41 > Thanks, John
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list