From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Using --deep
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:34:45
1 "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> writes:
2
3 >> --deep is almost never needed. Some people love it and tell everybody to use
4 >> it. Usually people who are version number freaks. But in 90% it is useless to
5 >> harmfull.
6 >
7 > Could you be more specific, please? How is it harmful? What happens to
8 > your system when you use --deep?
9 >
10 > Why is it that despite --deep being recommended[1] and used (I assume)
11 > by the majority of Gentoo users, I haven't heard of any ill effects of
12 > using --deep? (You are the first and so far the only person to recommend
13 > against it.)
14
15 Being the thread owner so to speak, I'd like to ask something of you
16 here. The converse of your question. How is it good.
17
18 Can't speak for Hermman of course but I think he was suggesting that
19 somewhere `Deep' in the dependancies of something things got tangled
20 up and caused something to bread that has bearing on my `slow redraw'
21 problem ending up with a need to revdep-rebuild to find the problems.
22
23 I still haven't seen what is at the root of my redraw problem and
24 haven't really heard any advice about how to debug it further.
25
26 I would like to hear both sides of this since you both are obviously
27 quite knowledgale about how gentoo works
28
29 > I *always* use --deep when upgrading because then I am assured of
30 > getting *all* of the dependencies of packages I am emerging. I am not
31 > aware of *ever* having system problems due to using --deep. How do you
32 > prevent packages from being installed that are missing dependencies?
33
34 I have been using --deep as a matter of course when upgrading and I
35 can say I have had system problems *absolutely every time* I've
36 upgraded. And (Embarrassing given the sad state of my skill level)
37 but I've been running gentoo for something like 2 or more years .
38
39 I don't know if the problems I've had are attributable to --deep in
40 any way, but I can say its likey to be at least in part due to ill
41 informed bumbling on my part.
42
43 The problems haven't always been big ones but there have always been
44 some requiring me to post here for advice. Many were about the
45 tangled web of kde dependancies.
46
47 How would you recognize that a system problem was or was not
48 attributable to `--deep'? Also isn't emerge supposed to find
49 dependancies as a default behavior?
50
51 In particular how can we determine what is wrong in my system causing
52 the slow redrawing of windows and slow scrolling. Its getting
53 annoying enough that I'm thinkin about trashing this install and going
54 back to a stage install from snapshots and see if I still get this
55 slow redraw.
56
57 The revdep-rebuild that Hermman suggested did find problems with gcc
58 that I fixed by re emerging it with USE="-gcj". But apparently this
59 is not related to `slow redraw'.
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list