From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] accelerate emerge
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:04:53
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:25 -0800, Mike Owen wrote:
2 > On 2/28/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:27 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > I have a different interpretation.
6 > >
7 > > I assume you know about FEATURES="parallel-fetch"?
8 >
9 > It's probably not the best idea to recommend ~arch versions of portage.
10
11 Why not? Its a great feature. My (two) systems have been running
12 entirely ~x86 ever since I installed them (years ago), and I've never
13 had any real problems. Only rarely do I have to recompile, or
14 downgrade, but usually it's all handled by portage anyway.
15
16 Standard disclaimer applies: just because it works now, doesn't mean it
17 will work in the future; not for production / isolated servers, etc.
18
19 Note that from the comments before you modify ~arch:
20
21 "... '~arch' is a superset of 'arch' which includes the unstable, in
22 testing, packages ... 'Broken' packages will not be added to testing ...
23 IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF YOUR ARCH, OR THE IMPLICATIONS, DO NOT MODIFY
24 [ACCEPT_KEYWORDS]".
25
26 :)
27 --
28 Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>
29
30 The use of money is all the advantage there is to having money.
31 -- B. Franklin
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list