From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] boots, but not on first try
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 03:35:20
1 If I followed the kernel instructions page correctly, its E8400 Core2Duo
2 wasn't in need of an initrd, and so did not get one. Main deviation from
3 suggestions/defaults was enabling HPFS filesystems. Result was 6001056 byte
4 4.0.5. openSUSE Tumbleweed 4.0.5 kernel is virtually identical at 6004656,
5 but there is also its 8712096 initrd.
6
7 I reached the bottom of
8 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Bootloader and
9 restarted host before clicking on link to next step. Before emerging
10 recommendations in the Tools instructions page I took a timeout to emerge mc.
11 The process involved 22 packages, more than I had any idea mc depended on,
12 but I guess that's at least partly because the installation to that point was
13 so very skeletal.
14
15 I got ahead of things I suppose on the bootloader instructions, which include
16 no example for Grub 0.97. I did emerge -s grub to identify the package name,
17 then did 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static' without first looking for any
18 instructions, after which I somehow found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB
19 and its instruction saying 'sys-boot/grub:0'. Having already emerged
20 sys-boot/grub-static without the :0 appendage, I punted instead of looking up
21 meaning of :0, running 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static:0'. That produced 4
22 beeps prior to emerge exit, which the previous emerge did not do. Next I set
23 Grub up according to its man page: grub> find /boot/grub/stage1; grub> root
24 (hd0,21); grub> setup (hd0,21), then adjusted grub.conf.
25
26 First boot try I used Gentoo's Grub 0.97 (grub.conf) chainloaded from
27 openSUSE's Grub 0.97-194 (menu.lst). Kernel quickly panic'd. I recognized
28 nothing on the screen to indicate why, though I had seen such things before,
29 among them, not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0).
30 / filesystem is mkfs.ext4 created while running openSUSE kernel 3.12.44.
31
32 Second try I used menu.lst. Fastest boot I've ever experienced!
33
34 I then tweaked on grub.conf, but #3 try using it also panic'd (~@1.37), also
35 producing no help I recognized.
36
37 So now after some experimenting with cmdline arguments I'm on ~#10, headed
38 into https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Finalizing ,
39 wondering why a Gentoo sample/prototype-based Grub stanza produces panic.
40
41 Panicing grub.conf cmdline arguments:
42 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 splash=0
43 video=1024x768@60 3
44
45 Working grub.conf cmdline arguments:
46 root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 splash=0 video=1024x768@60 3
47
48 Why is root=/dev/ram0 real_root= in the sample/prototype?
49
50 4.0.5's /boot/config* FWIW:
51 http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/config-4.0.5-gentoo-gx780.txt
52 --
53 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
54 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
55
56 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
57
58 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/