From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:20:16
1 On 9/29/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht schreef:
3 >
4 > >> Can you record audio from the command line? Or do the X-based
5 > >> programs you use run under DirectFB? What I'm getting at is getting
6 > >> rid of all the obstructions that could possibly interfere with the
7 > >> kernel and introduce even more latency issues than what it already
8 > >> has
9 > > <snip>
10 > >
11 > > Good questions. I didn't say this earlier. I probably should have. If
12 > > I boot this machine into a console mode (i.e. - no xdm/gdm) and run
13 > > Jack in one console I can log in as root in another console, do
14 > > emerges all day long and I get no xruns, at least with the small
15 > > amount of testing I've done so far. This is using 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 so
16 > > it has some new code but not all of Ingo's stuff.
17 >
18 > OK, so X really is a problem, then. Now I really want to find a way to
19 > get you rid of it.
20
21 In the meantime, following along on Dave's idea about running remotely
22 I now have Ardour running at 64/2. (sub 3mS) No xruns yet.
23
24 1) On Lightning I boot without X and start Jack in a console.
25
26 2) On my remote machine some audio apps are failing with lots of
27 'BadAtom messages, but if I log into Lightning using
28
29 ssh -Y lightning ardour
30
31 then ardour comes up remotely and seems to be working fine. I've run a
32 couple of sessions, and at least in playback no xruns yet. I'm also
33 playing oggs from a 1394 drive and have hdspmixer running. My issue
34 right now is this is a lot of network traffic and this room only has a
35 hub so I'm off to pick up a cheap switch at lunch.
36
37 I still see a lot of memory usage. That concerns me a bit.
38
39 You make some very good points below. I'll come back later today and
40 spend some time thinking and answering them. For now let me say that I
41 have <1% of the experience you do with FB solutions (I've NEVER used
42 it) so that's a whole new area for me to look at, but it could be
43 interesting.
44
45 More later, and thanks very much to you and Dave. I'm not done here.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list