From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing /home and swap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:42:36
1 On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On 28/12/2011 10:49 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
5 >> On Dec 28, 2011 9:40 AM, "Nilesh Govindarajan" <contact@××××××××.com
6 >> <mailto:contact@××××××××.com>> wrote:
7 >>  >
8 >>  >
9 >>  > On Dec 28, 2011 7:52 AM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au
10 >> <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>> wrote:
11 >>  > >
12 >
13 > [snip]
14 > ...
15 > ...
16 > ...
17 > [snip]
20 >> True.
21 >>
22 >> My suggestion would be to not share your ~ directly, but instead share
23 >> something *under* ~
24 >>
25 >> E.g. :
26 >>
27 >> mkdir ~/sharedstuff
28 >> mount /dev/sdxx ~/sharedstuff
29 >>
30 >> Another alternative would be to ensure that you are not using the same
31 >> username in both OS, and just do a bindmount.
32 >>
33 >> Rgds,
37 > People,
38 >        Thanks for the replies, I forgot about the config stuff sitting there
39 > in the home dir. I think the way around this for me is Pandu's suggestion of
40 > a different user name for each linux and using bind mount.
41
42 There's a big one nobody mentioned: Different versions of different
43 apps. In flipping a /home back and forth between different Linux
44 distributions running different versions of (mostly) the same
45 software, I've had apps crash. *Usually*, this happens when dotfiles
46 were created by newer versions of a program, and then read by an older
47 version, but I've seen it break going the other way, too.
48
49 The other (relatively mild) bit are UID/GID mappings for permissions.
50 As long as your login users and related groups in /etc/passwd and
51 /etc/group have the same UIDs and GIDs in both OSs, you should be just
52 fine. I got bit when I flipped back and forth between Fedora and
53 Ubuntu; Fedora started things at UID 500, Ubuntu started things at UID
54 1000. Files that had been created by my user account on one system
55 couldn't be read by my user account on the other without chowning
56 them.
59 :wq