From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The NVIDIA/Kernel fiasco -- is it safe to sync yet?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:53:35
1 On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:18:09 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 25/08/2013 02:45, »Q« wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:49:43 +0200
6 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On 24/08/2013 06:26, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
9 > >>> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
10 > >>>> It looks like maybe the best way to tell which ebuilds support
11 > >>>> which kernels is to read the conditional for the ewarn message in
12 > >>>> each ebuild.
13 > >>>
14 > >>> If this sort of problem spreads it might be good to build into
15 > >>> portage some kind of blocker/keyword mechanism so that users need
16 > >>> not deal with this.... not that I have any appreciation for the
17 > >>> work involved.
18 > >>
19 > >> Those tools already exist.
20 > >>
21 > >> Blockers, which do not really apply here;
22 > >
23 > > In a comment on the bug (which is full of bugspam), someone
24 > > suggested blocking kernels which are incompatible with the
25 > > currently-installed nvidia-drivers. I'm glad that idea was
26 > > dismissed.
27 > >
28 > >> elog messages
29 > >
30 > > Those elog messages are presented after compiling a new kernel and
31 > > then trying and failing to compile nvidia-drivers. So now I grep
32 > > the nvidia-drivers ebuilds for the messages before I compile a new
33 > > kernel.
34 > >
35 > > A wiki page with info about which nvidia-drivers will build against
36 > > which kernels would be a nice thing to have.
37 >
38 > Your reply demonstrates nicely the true nature of the problem:
39 >
40 > With nvidia-drivers, sometimes things break and there's nothing sane
41 > that portage and the devs can do to help you. You can't check the
42 > configured kernels as they may not be running. You can't check the
43 > installed sources as they may not be in use. You can't even try
44 > identify the sources symlinked by /usr/src/linux as they may have
45 > been patched, tweaked or modified and nvidia-drivers may well build
46 > whereas against stock sources they don't.
47 >
48 > The entire problem is completely due to how nVidia chose to do things,
49 > it's their business decision. Now, if they were to get their shim code
50 > into mainline, most of this nonsense would not happen anymore.
51 >
52 > The only thing left for Portage and the devs to do is to provide the
53 > ebuild and ask you to run it. If it doesn't compile, then don't run
54 > that kernel.
55 >
56 > I doubt your wiki page idea will work, it will be just accurate enough
57 > to look like it might work and just inaccurate enough to be useless.
58 > Which brings you back to the previous paragraph - try emerge
59 > nvidia-drivers and if it fails then don't use that kernel.
60
61 I was unclear to the point of being misleading. I'm sorry.
62
63 The wiki idea is only for a page which tells which
64 kernel/nvidia-drivers combinations the Gentoo nvidia-drivers
65 maintainers support. And by "support", I mean they'll look into bugs
66 and fix build problems if they're able to. This is exactly the info I'm
67 grepping out of ewarn messages in their ebuilds now.