From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remote administration of a server
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:47:51
1 On 5/13/07, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday 14 May 2007 19:42:45 Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
4 > > To solve this, I'm seeing 2 options right now. The first would be buying
5 > a
6 > > KVM-over-IP unit. But, a KVM-over-IP unit with the number of ports I
7 > need
8 > > is expensive, almost as expensive as the servers it will be connected.
9 >
10 > We use a Belkin KVM-IP box with 2 sets of ports. One set for a local
11 > keyboard/monitor/mouse, and one to a 16 port Belkin KVM.
12 > The IP box can handle upto 64 KVM ports, and the KVM can daisy chain to an
13 > extent I don't know.
14 > You don't say how many servers, but 64 is quite a lot.
15 > I believe Belkin do a 4 channel IP box too.
16 > Total cost was, I think, ~£700. To remotely manage >16 servers, peanuts.
19 That's cheap! I'm looking at their page right now. And 64 is enough for sure
20 (at least during the first year).