From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo installation, network adapter not supported
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:39:44
1 On 5 July 2013, at 07:48, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 >
3 >> My experience has been the opposite, that even the cheapest USB network adaptors have worked.
4 > ...
5 >> Maybe I've just been lucky and this is not the norm, but from what I've seen "USB network adapters don't work with Linux" is the sort of thing that might have been true 10 years ago.
6 >
7 > Are you talking about an adapter that plugs into a USB port at one end and has an Ethernet port at the other end?
8
9 Like this: http://www.cnesmart.com/plus/view.php?aid=139
10
11 I can't say that's the exact same model as one of the ones I've used, with the same chipset and all, but it looks just the same.
12
13 I see that page says the NIC is supported by Windows 2000, so I would be surprised if no Linux driver has been developed by now.
14
15 Searching my computer it appears, although I can't say for sure, that I paid less than $10 for this adaptor.
16
17 Stroller.