From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do I keep package from being updated?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:26:55
1 On Thursday 11 January 2007 08:50, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] how do I keep package from being updated?':
3 > Hi. I just did emerge --pretend --update --deep world, but there is a
4 > package which I don't want to have emerge update automatically -- how
5 > do I accomplish this?
6
7 Add an appropriate atom to your /etc/portage/package.mask file. There's a
8 good section in the handbook about this, as well as it being documented in
9 the various man pages installed with portage, such as man portage, man
10 ebuild, and man 5 ebuild.
11
12 Very quickly:
13 If you have cate-gory/package-1.5.3 installed, and
14 cate-gory/package-1.6.0_rc2 is available but you don't want to upgrade,
15 add >=cate-gory/package-1.6* to your package.mask
16
17 (If it's a -rX upgrade, or and increase in the 3rd (or later) number in the
18 version, you probably want the upgrade. Really. The former is an ebuild
19 fix that won't change the upstream version you get (so, you will almost
20 never encounter upgrade issues); the later is (for most packages) a
21 security or bugfix release that should maintain compatibility with
22 previous versions (so, you will rarely encounter upgrade issues).)
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh