From: Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [QA] The 'dropped' value in /sbin/ifconfig output
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:05:54
1 On 02/25/2010 02:11 PM, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
2 > Dear list,
3 >
4 > This might be too fundamental to answer, but I would like to know
5 > when will the 'dropped' value in the output of /sbin/ifconfig be counted up.
6 >
7 > I have tried setting up a firewall using iptables with a very simple rule like
8 > the following:
9 >
10 > <samle>
11 > # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
12 >
13 > When trying to connect from the other host through tcp port 80, there
14 > was no response, which is expected.
15 >
16 > However, the 'dropped' value was note added up even the packet is dropped.
17
18 Well, you're talking about two different things:
19 the dropped value in ifconfig output is related to Ethernet packet which
20 would be dropped by hardware.
21 The target DROP of iptables tells to the kernel to drop the packet at
22 software level.
23
24 If you want to see the dropped packet statistics on software level (ie
25 iptables), run iptables -v -L .
26
27 > Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
30 Xavier Parizet
31 YaGB : http://gentooist.com
32 GPG : C7DC B10E FC21 63BE
33 B453 D239 F6E6 DF65 1569 91BF