From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT overheat] How to cause shutdown on overheat
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:21:47
1 On 9/30/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Group, I recently built a ventilated stucture around my 4 desktops to
3 > try to quiet things down and get rid of the heat.
4 >
5 > I made no provision for forced shutdown in case of overheat, which is
6 > quite likely to happen if, for example the main ventilation fan went
7 > down for some reason.
8 >
9 > Well, that happened due to stupidity on my part with getting used to
10 > the new setup. I fired up a computer and neglected to turn the fan
11 > on. Then left it running overnight.
12 >
13 > Well, given the confined space and very little/no ventilation (of my
14 > homemade structure) the computer got hot...
15 >
16 > Sometime this morning I see syslog messages written to tty that say:
17 >
18 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
19 > reader kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
20 >
21 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
22 > reader kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
23 >
24 > [...]
25 >
26 > Some kind of attempt by kernel to cool things down. But will it
27 > actually shutdown if it gets dangerously hot?
28 >
29 > Further, how can I discover what temperatures were involved when this
30 > happened?
31 >
32 > Or can I set something to make a shutdown happen at a specific
33 > temperature?
34 >
35 > A nicer solution would be somekind of added stand alone temperature
36 > monitor in the enclosure that causes a controlled shutdown like one
37 > gets with `shutdown -h now'.
38 >
39 > Anyone here with some experience in this kind of thing that can steer me
40 > to some good information?
43 If you have built your kernel with ACPI options for THERMAL or some
44 kind of frequency changer, you can use a daemon like cpufreqd to
45 monitor the temperature and take actions like reduce the clock and
46 voltage to avoid damage to the processor.
47
48 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml
49
50 When my computer reaches the limit (wich in my case is 73 degrees C)
51 it automatically shutdown, I didn't have to configure anything, it is
52 builtin with the thermal ACPI module. I'm talking about a Pentium IV
53 Northwood here, and they tend to get really hot. It used to happen to
54 my Athlon XP also... To monitor the temperature, you can read the
55 /proc entries created by ACPI, for example
56 /proc/acpi/thermal/TZ0/info.
59 Daniel da Veiga
60 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
66 --