From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Misunderstanding fstrim...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 15:26:39
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Seeing that I've had my "new" box for three years, now, I'm thinking
4 it's about time to run fstrim. But how?
5
6 I've got a pair of NVMe drives in a RAID 1 configuration. On the main
7 partition, /dev/md126, I've got several LVM2 things. In the volume
8 group(s?) I've got things like /dev/mapper/vg-home mounted on /home.
9 Most of my partitions are ext4.
10
11 When I try things like
12
13 # fstrim --dry-run /home
14
15 , I get the response:
16
17 /home: 0 B (dry run) trimmed
18
19 . What does this mean, in particular the "0 B" bit? Does it mean that
20 if I let it rip, it would trim 0 Bytes?
21
22 Will I do any damage if I let it go ahead (without the --dry-run)? Will
23 this actually do any good? Will fstrim work together with LVM volumes?
24
25 Thanks for any help!
28 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).