From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] R.pi 64 bit with 8/16 G ram?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:46:36
1 On 6/20/20 1:12 AM, urpion@×××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 01:36:29PM -0400, james wrote:
3 >> Folks,
4 >>
5 >> Now, if/when this devices "is shipping", I can finally build out a 12VDC
6 >> pickup camper gentoo centric "deep woods" mobile dev_shop.
7 >>
8 >> I kid you not:
9 >> "Upton says the 64-bit image is for power users who want to map all 8GB
10 >> into the address space of a single process. It's currently in beta and
11 >> misses several key features, but once ready it will provide a 64-bit
12 >> alternative to 64-bit versions of Ubuntu and Gentoo."
13 >>
14 >> GENTOO? Wonder who is behind that bit of work?
18 >> https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-raspberry-pi-4-8gb-ram-model-out-now-for-75-plus-you-get-a-new-64-bit-os/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=29128215408769320614767878147805&mid=12853938&cid=2217268782
19 >>
20 >> No kidding:
21 >>
22 >> "Even the Raspberry Pi beginner's guide had a reference to an 8GB
23 >> variant, while the Pi 4's Broadcom BCM2711 chip supports up to 16GB of
24 >> LPDDR4 SDRAM."
25 >>
26 >> 16 G on a pi?
27 >>
28 >> I'm all in. Can Anyone verify this offer?
31 >> curiously,
32 >> James
35 > Yeah! "deep woods" I like it. I wanna make a mobile 12V system too.
36
37 12 VDC is pretty standard now for RV, boats and many environments. It's
38 about finding, testing and deploying advanced gentoo systems on 12VDC
39 where is can turn into a remote, secure palace. Surely I'll post, when
40 my vision is ready. I think, for me, usb4 is also quintessentially
41 important. Jump into gentoo-embedded to find out what's going on any
42 time. embedded and 12VDC, are synonymous, imho.
43
44 Microwaves, TVs, audio systems and host of other "fun-toys" can also all
45 run on 12VDC.
46
47 Bye the way, deep woods is quite similar to ski-lodge, cross-ocean
48 cruising, mountain climbing, arctic retreat,
49 island living, ranch-cabin, horse-back-camping etc etc. 12 vdc can store
50 energy on batteries, such as optimas, yellow-top & redtop & bluetop and
51 all sorts of exotic metal based batteries. A small energy footprint, is
52 good for the earth, and 12vdc brings folks "closer together" so it is
53 the ultimate e4nergy source on cozy nights with the ones you love....
54
55 Diverting money from the large electric grid operators?
56 ....priceless....