From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 04:33:31
1 On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Francisco Ares wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I probably didn't  get the point, but what about a simple "tar"?
5 >>
6 >> #! /bin/bash
7 >> tar -cjvpf /tmp/home.tbz /home
8 >> mv /tmp/home.tbz /some/where/else
9 >>
10 >> unless you're thinking on incremental back up, and more sophisticated
11 >> things.
12 >>
13 >> Francisco
17 > Well, I want to start off making a small script.  Maybe get a little more
18 > complicated later on.  I do want to do incremental backups, at least at
19 > first.  I may later on use tar and something to keep say two copies and then
20 > delete the older ones.
21 > Just trying to get my feet wet here.  Trying to be simple at first and go
22 > from there.  If I try to cram to much in my head at one time, I get brain
23 > lock.
24 >
25 > Thanks.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-)  :-)
33 Well, there are a couple of tools to make your script quite simple:
34
35 http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%20Tricks/unison.htm
36 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7712
37 http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/16061.html
38 http://webtools.live2support.com/linux/rsync.php
39 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/sync-a-usb-flash-drive-with-hd-folders-possible-522875/
40 http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/storage/8200-back-up-like-an-expert-with-rsync
41 http://www.unixtutorial.org/2008/09/how-to-synchronize-directories-with-rsync/
42
43 Hope this helps
44 Francisco
47 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
48 you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
49 I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
50 two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw