From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:41:19
1 On 2011-12-17, David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 >>Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD
4 >>Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen
5 >>TV.
6 >>
7 >>These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if
8 >>they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra
9 >>features.
10 >
11 > At least mplayer, vlc and xine will also happily play a directory, be
12 > it a mounted DVD, a mounted image or just a rip as made by dvdbackup
13 > and others (e.g. lxdvdrip).
14
15 The SageTv set-top box will happily play a DVD directory also (in
16 addition to playing TV shows recorded by the SageTv DVR server
17 software). Sadly, Google bought SageTv and shut them down. It's too
18 bad. SageTv server + set-top-box was a really great product. I don't
19 know what I'm going to do when it dies. I absolutely dread going to
20 back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV...
23 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am a jelly donut.
24 at I am a jelly donut.
25 gmail.com