From: Vincent-Xavier JUMEL <endymion+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] network discovery tools
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:29:52
1 Le 25 mai à 21:54 Stéphane Guedon a écrit
2 > On Wednesday 25 May 2011 21:45:07 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > There must be a number of people who post here that have had to do
4 > > this problem.
5 > >
6 > > Discover the addresses of computers on a home network that have
7 > > connected by way of DHCP. For example: Several wireless connections.
10 « ip a s » to get your IP with your mask and then « nmap
11 ip.in.v4.format/mask »
12
13 > > I've used static IPS for around 10 yrs, always seemed handier for
14 > > things like ssh between home lan computers.
15 > >
16 > > But recently started using DHCP for wireless connections. It must
17 > > be such a popular method for some reason.
18 > >
19 > > But when you do it that way, and say want to VNC or ssh or the like
20 > > to something connected by a dhcp serving WAP then how do you find
21 > > the address?
22 > >
23 avahi and zeroconf could be an help. With avahi-daemon running every
24 where and avahi-dnsconfd I just type « ssh -l login myhostname.local »
25 or « ssh -l login myhostname.lan » depending on your configuration.
26
27 > > That is, besides something like accessing the WAP and checking the IPs
28 > > connected to it.
29 > >
30 > > Is there some quick and sure way to discover any IPs on the home lan?
31 > >
32 > > Some kind of mapper tool?
33 You've got lanmap to, though it doesn't seem maintained IMHO and it
34 depends on nmap.
37 > dhcp can assign static adresses ! Thus, it's easier to manage (only the dhcp
38 > server to admin !)
39 >
40 > I am not english, thus, don't know website with such doc (in english) but you
41 > can easily find it on internet !
42 >
43 Configuration sample are even given in isc-dhcp-server default conf
44 file, richly commented out.
45
46 > You have also dnsmasq that makes both dns (for lan) + dhcp (whereas commonly,
47 > this functions are split)
48 --
49 Vincent-Xavier JUMEL GPG Id: 0x2E14CE70 http://thetys-retz.net
50