From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange portage behaviour
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 13:18:41
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Now, when I chroot into the rescue system and 'emerge -uaDvNk @core @base',
4 > portage reports that it can't use the postfix package because of different USE
5 > flags, but it does the update I've asked for. Postfix is in @apps in the main
6 > system, but it's not installed in the rescue system.
7
8 That makes sense. -k says to use the binary if it matches, and
9 enables --binpkg-respect-use by default. Since the USE flags don't
10 match it ignores the binary package, but since you're using -k it does
11 a full build.
14 > Moreover, if I specify -K instead of -k to emerge, it proposes to install
15 > every package that's present in $PKGDIR.
16
17 This is because -k automatically sets --binpkg-respect-use, but -K
18 does not. So when you switch to -K it ignores your USE flag settings
19 and just installs them. It will, however, not do any full builds.
20
21 > Or, is there a way to specify 'all installed category/packages that have
22 > usable binary packages'? At present, 'installed' is being ignored.
23
24 Sounds like you want --usepkgonly y --binpkg-respect-use y (the first
25 is the same as -K). At least, I think that is what you're getting at
26 - I could be misunderstanding your goal.
27
28 If I were less lazy I'd come up with a way for portage to have
29 multiple binpkg files in the repo with different USE flags, and let it
30 pick the one that matches. It seems possible using config hashes and
31 a strategy like what is done with shared object symlinks.
34 Rich