From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/log/messages size
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:31:40
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:12:30 -0300, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2
3 > Hi All, I was looking for explanations about syslog-ng and got
4 > stucked.... I was wondering why my /var/log/messages has 2.1 GB size
5 > and if I can reduce this size or config it better; I am using default
6 > syslog-ng config that was emerged by gentoo instalation.
7
8 emerge logrotate
9
10 Without log rotation, your logfiles will just keep growing.
11
12 There is also the possibility that some process has run amok and is
13 filling your log file with repeated messages.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 What do you get if you cross an agnostic, an insomniac and adyslexic?
20 Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.