From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] shell ouput which file descriptor
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 15:20:56
1 This is not a question about cvs... its only used for example.
2
3 I'm puzzled about a change in what I see when I run
4 cvs -n update 2> /dev/null
5
6 I've apparently lost the ability to remove stder from output.
7
8 I used that command to trim out file descriptor 2 which used to leave
9 a list of any changed files in the repo on the console, for a very
10 long time.
13 Suddenly there is no difference with:
14
15 cvs -n update 2> /dev/null
16 cvs -n update
17
18 The stuff on stderr still shows in the ouput either way.
19
20 Further;
21 cvs -n update 2>er (redirect stder to ./er)
22
23 Doesn't put anything in ./er
24
25 However cvs -n update 1>out (redirect stdout to ./out)
26
27 Does catch the output I'm after and leave out stderr. (as one would
28 expect)
29
30 So, again, apparently I've lost the ability to trim out stderr with a
31 redirect to /dev/null (cvs -n update 2> /dev/null)
32
33 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
34
35 The only thing I've been tinkering with is evaluating the
36 /etc/DIR_COLORS file. I switched from evaluating a custom version to
37 evaluating the default version.
38
39 That's when I first noticed the file descriptor anomaly but not sure
40 if was going before since I didn't notice it before.
41
42 So changed back to the original dir_colors... but the descriptor
43 problem is still here.
44
45 I've established a fresh login by ssh myusr@localhost
46
47 Still I see stderr in the console even when redirected with
48 2> /dev/null
49
50 Anyone have an idea what I've done here, or what might explain what
51 I'm seeing?