From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install on ZFS
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:57:35
1 On 15/08/2017 14:49, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to get started on my first Gentoo install on ZFS. My
3 > remote server is booted to a Gentoo LiveCD and I've SSH'ed in but it
4 > looks like the CD doesn't have ZFS tools:
5 >
6 > livecd ~ # zpool status
7 > -bash: zpool: command not found
8 >
9 > Can I pull this off from here or do I need to mail a different CD to my host?
10 >
11 > This server has 6 SSDs and I'm planning to set up a 2-way stripe and
12 > 3-way mirror. Any tips that might help me pull this off?
13 >
14 > - Grant
18 The Gentoo LiveCD is really nothing more than a feel-nice tool for
19 people who want to install Gentoo from a Gentoo tool; it is very much
20 completely not required.
21
22 Do your install from any medium you feel like as long as it has all the
23 tools you need.
24
25 I suppose you *could* emerge the zfs tools on the running LiveCD system
26 if it supports fs merging but it's probably easier to use a medium that
27 already has everything you want
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com