From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 04:31:46
1 On Fri, 29 May 2015 00:41:08 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Am 28.05.2015 um 17:35 schrieb gevisz:
4 > > In my everyday work at the computer, I read
5 > > and type at three or even four different languages.
6 > >
7 > > However, I do want to have all program menues
8 > > and system messages only in English.
9 > >
10 > > So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
11 > > setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
12 > > it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
13 > > enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.
14 > >
15 > > (As far as I can remember the gettext package
16 > > was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
17 > > system just after that.)
18 > >
19 > > However, after those few weeks (and some system
20 > > updates), I have noticed that my system started
21 > > to translate some "system" messages into one of
22 > > the languages I use but which is not my native language.
23 > >
24 > > Moreover, running
25 > > $ equery depends gettext
26 > > I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
27 > > depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
28 > > USE flag is either unset or absent.
29 > >
30 > > I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
31 > > system once again but portage just ignored my
32 > > $ emerge --depclean gettext
33 > > command.
34 > >
35 > > I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
36 > > when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
37 > > messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
38 > > in any other language, but the system understands that as
39 > > I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.
40 > >
41 > > Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
42 > > time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
43 > > language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
44 > > control of my Gentoo system.
45 > >
46 > > So, my questions are:
47 > > 1. Is it a bug?
48 > > 2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.
51 > 1. If a package hard depends on gettext, you can fiddle around with
52 > useflags as much as you want, it won't change. Not a bug. Just the way
53 > it is.
54
55 If a package hard depend on gettext, it is a bug, IMHO.
56
57 > 2. Environment variables. Set them. LANG, LANGUAGE and of course LC_ALL
58
59 $ echo $LANG
60 en_US.UTF-8
61 $ echo $LANGUAGE
62 %%% This environment variable is not set
63 $ echo $LC_ALL
64 %%% This environment variable is not set
65
66 Why the system suddenly decided that my native language is one of
67 the easten-europien ones, then?
68
69 And a month or two ago, all the system messages was in English
70 with exactly the same evironment variables setting. (And packages
71 did not hard-depend on gettext.) Strange.