From: David Grant <davidgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Update to glibc-2.4-r3 with gcc-3.4.6
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:58:54
1 On 9/15/06, Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > David Grant wrote:
4 > > I did and I totally screwed up my system. I managed to fix it eventually
5 > > by booting to a live CD and untaring the quickpkg I made into the /
6 > > directory.
7 >
8 > Yes, I saw your posts on bug 125868 [1].
9 >
10 > > ... and secondly, don't
11 > > do it until you get some responses back from others who did it
12 > succesfully.
13 >
14 > Well, I did it anyway (had a bit of time on my hands). And surprise, I
15 > had the exact same symptoms as the bug above, i.e. a relocation error
16 > before unmerging the previous glibc-2.3.6-r4. But everything was still
17 > working ok.
18 >
19 > So I did *not* panic ;-) and just emerged glibc-2.4-r3 a second time (I
20 > had made a binary package, so this was quite fast), and this time the
21 > previous glibc was unmerged correctly. I suppose an emerge --prune would
22 > also have worked. Your problem was most likely due to your having
23 > unmerged glibc-2.4, which left you with a system without glibc.
26 Is that what I said I did in the bug report? Ok, I did do something wrong.
27 :-) Well for my MythTV box (the one I screwed up) I'll be waiting probably 6
28 months to a year to upgrade just to make sure there are no problems.
29 Actually I'll probably just leave the new glibc and gcc hard-masked until I
30 am forced to upgrade due to the old one being removed from portage or due to
31 a dependancy.
34 David Grant
35 http://www.davidgrant.ca