From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:36:19
1 On Monday, 21 November 2022 16:11:13 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-11-21, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I did re-emerge the nvidia drivers for the old kernel. [...]
4 > >
5 > > If I get bored, and it warms up a little, I may build a 5.19 kernel.
6 > > Thing is, by the time I get around to rebooting, nvidia may have updated
7 > > and the new one I already got will work. :/
8 >
9 > About 15 years ago, after a bad experience with ATI dropping Linux
10 > driver support for a card that was only a year old (and no luck
11 > getting the open source driver to work reliably),
12
13 I had a similar experience about the same time, ATI proprietary drivers
14 stopped working and the kernel driver was performing poorly - tearing when
15 playing videos, etc. Within a few months the kernel driver improved
16 significantly and saved me the cost of buying another graphics card.
19 > I switched to NVidia
20 > (mostly Qaudro cards -- fanless until that ceased to be an
21 > option). They always worked great using the NVidia blob drivers, but
22 > using NVidia drivers was a constant source of minor pain. Often kernel
23 > updates had to be postponed until NVidia driver support caught up, and
24 > they too dropped support and forced me to replace a board that was
25 > still working perfectly.
26 >
27 > Eventually, I just gave up and started using built-in Intel
28 > graphics. Life was much easier. A high-end gamer probably wouldn't be
29 > happy, but my mid-range mainboard happily drove three decent-sized
30 > displays (two DVI and one DP) at their native resolutions. I find the
31 > same to be true on my newer AMD system with built-in Radeon Vega
32 > graphics. It too "just works" with the in-kernel-tree support and
33 > open-source Xorg drivers.
34
35 By accident rather than design I ended up using mostly Radeon cards over the
36 years. I also had a laptop with Intel graphics. Both intel and radeon have
37 been working without problems with kernel drivers, but I am not a gamer to
38 stress them to their limit.
41 > I did have to give up the option of having multiple X11 screens. The
42 > proprietary NVidia driver supported multiple screens, but the drivers
43 > for built-in Intel and Radeon drivers don't seem to.
44 >
45 > --
46 > Grant
47
48 AMD APUs with embedded radeon graphics work fine here with two monitors (DVI +
49 HDMI ports).