From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] site:www.gentoo.org (compile phase)...die "econf failed"
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 09:00:19
1 On Sunday 15 May 2011 07:24:12 Felix Miata wrote:
2 > Googling above or similar is getting me nothing useful: 70% non-English
3 > pages, and of the remainder, 90% questions without answers (from
4 > forums.gentoo.org), and of those with answers, answers specific to packages
5 > bearing no apparent relationship to those failing to emerge for me. There
6 > are plenty hits for 'die "econf failed"' and 'ERROR:...failed (compile
7 > phase)', just nothing useful.
8
9 I cannot access your buildgrublog.txt of 15 May (Error 403)
10
11 > How can my attempts to follow the Handbook instructions have failed so
12 > miserably that I can't even emerge such a basic package as Grub Legacy?
13
14 It seems that you may have missed something in your toolchain.
15
16 > http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/ has my build.log, config.log and
17 > eclass-debug.log files from 6 different emerge failures, plus output of
18 > emerge --info. Is there something akin to a Handbook page that describes
19 > similar failures and how to fix them? Is my problem not a common blocker
20 > for new users? How can I make any progress with everything hitting this
21 > apparently same or similar problem? Since I got a working kernel and mc,
22 > I've not managed to get anything else to emerge. :-(
23
24 I noticed in your configgrublog.txt this error:
25
26 ./configure: line 3307: ccache: command not found
27
28 So, somewhere ccache is defined to be used, but you perhaps have not emerged
29 dev-util/ccache?
30
31 Emerge it with a LiveCD, configure it, reboot and see if your system emerges
32 better now.
33
34 Or,
35
36 set -ccache in FEATURES in your /etc/make.conf and try again.
37
38 BTW, if you originally had ccache working and left stales files under
39 /var/tmp/ccache/* you better delete these first.
40
41 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part2_chap3
45 > As an aside, pages like http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml don't
46 > fit.
47
48 I recall this discussed before. Some pages do not have the correct CSS to
49 define a max page width which for todays browsers should typically be 1024.
50 Could be caused by the CMS used or some error in coding by the webmaster. Not
51 sure if a bug on this has been filled before. Worth checking the M/L archives
52 to see what was the conclusion. Also worth trying loading just the frame to
53 see if it can show up correctly.
54 --
55 Regards,
56 Mick