From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prioritizing mpd
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:31:47
1 >> renice -20 -p `pgrep mpd`
2 >>
3 >> but my Athlon 2.2Ghz still can't handle it for more than a few
4 >> seconds.  I don't have SMP enabled because of a bug in madwifi, and
5 >> I'm hoping when I get that fixed I'll be able to run the best
6 >> libsamplerate resampler.  Any other ideas for making this work?
7 >
8 > AFAIK resampling is expensive operation that's only necessary when your
9 > sound card can't handle native stream sample rate, furthermore, it's a
10 > lossy operation (degrading quality).
11 >
12 > So, I'd look for the answer to the question "why mpd is doing it and
13 > why I allow it to do that?".
14 > For example, you might have enabled it to resample stream to 32 bits
15 > depth, while your built-in card can only handle 16 and the stream has
16 > also 16, so what happens is userspace-level conversion (with some loss
17 > of quality) to 32, loading your CPU, then this stream goes to alsa,
18 > and, provided that your card can't play this, driver or the card itself
19 > converts it back to 16.
20 > Note that the latter case would probably mean "card offloads conversion
21 > to your CPU as well", so you'll get CPU load for both ways' conversion
22 > anyway, only reducing sound quality, no matter how good converters are.
23 >
24 > To avoid any processing, try disabling resampling in mpd, since it'll
25 > probably be done for you anyway, if necessary (you'll hear "white
26 > noise" otherwise).
27 >
28 > And you can pre-convert all the streams to any given samplerate, but
29 > note that you'll probably get far worse results if the target format
30 > isn't lossless (flac, ape), even if the source one is lossy, than with
31 > worst resampling.
32 > And you can get worse CPU/IO load with lossless format in the end,
33 > since it's harder to decode and the input data stream is much heavier
34 > than with lossy mp3s or oggs.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net
38
39 I'm upsampling my 16/44.1 files to 24/96 because it sounds much better
40 than letting the USB DAC do it. This was actually recommended by the
41 manufacturer and it sounds much better.
42
43 Pre-converting sounds interesting. I could convert all of my 16/44.1
44 files to 24/96 files? That way the CPU wouldn't be stressed at
45 playback time. How can I do that? I use libsamplerate "Best" for
46 resampling.
47
48 - Grant