From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:35:56
1 I should know how to do this but so many changes have happened
2 recently and I haven't done anything like this for a very long time.
3
4 My desktop version of gentoo is pretty far out of date. And I think
5 there have been enough changes that I don't even want to try to get it
6 cleaned up.
7
8 Rather, I'd like to build up a newly installed gentoo to the point
9 where it has all the stuff I want. But do it inside a vmware virtual
10 machine.
11
12 I'm trying to keep my working desktop in place until such time as the
13 vmware gentoo setup is ready
14
15 Once that install is up to speed with all my preferred apps in place.
16 And any kinks worked out...
17 Only then use it to overwrite my desktop OS. Or reformat that disk
18 and move the vmware gentoo version to it.
19
20 The vmware gentoo would be guest on a windows XP pro machine.
21
22 I'd like to hear any comments concerning what problems I might run
23 into or whether the plan is likely to be a serious mess.
24
25 Also wouldn't mind seeing a rough outline of how to make that kind of
26 move.