From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frame-buffer modes on an eee-pc
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:52:36
1 On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:02, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > My wife has a nice new Asus 1005AH and I'm installing Gentoo on it so that
5 > she won't have to struggle with the likes of Lookout Inarush.
6 >
7 > I've spent several days so far exploring blind alleys while getting the box
8 > to boot with a working Ethernet connection; eventually I discovered that I
9 > had to go to gentoo-sources-2.6.31, and I now have a running text-mode
10 > system.
11 >
12 > While messing about at the weekend I found a frame-buffer mode I liked, but
13 > now I can't reproduce it. The graphics chip is an Intel 945GME Express, I
14 > have intelfb and i2c-dev compiled into the 2.6.31 kernel, and this grub
15 > entry:
16 >
17 > root (hd0,4)
18 > kernel /kernel-2.6.31-gentoo root=/dev/sda6 video=intelfb:mode=1024x600
19 > softlevel=no-x
20 >
21 > When I accidentally hit on the configuration I liked, the display started at
22 > the standard 80x25, then when it got to "Waiting for uevents to be
23 > processed" the screen blanked and then continued in something like 60 lines
24 > (I didn't actually count them); finally at udev-postmount the line length
25 > was changef from 80 to something like 120 (I didn't count that either). A
26 > very pretty display, clear as crystal.
27 >
28 > Can anybody point me to the config I need? I've tried google of course but
29 > no joy there.
32 Have you tried:
33 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA
34
35 Specially the part that explains the new Kernel Modesetting?
36
37 The new GEM and some new features in newer kernels are pretty much all
38 I neeeded for my framebuffer.
39 --
40 Daniel da Veiga