From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange error during boot
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:00:00
1 on Thursday 02/12/2009 Joost Roeleveld(joost@××××××××.org) wrote
2 > On Thu, February 12, 2009 2:26 pm, John covici wrote:
3 > > on Thursday 02/12/2009 Joost Roeleveld(joost@××××××××.org) wrote
4 > > > On Thu, February 12, 2009 2:05 pm, John covici wrote:
5 > > > > on Thursday 02/12/2009 Joost Roeleveld(joost@××××××××.org) wrote
6 > > > > > On Thu, February 12, 2009 10:52 am, John covici wrote:
7 > > > > > > Hi. I just upgraded a gentoo system from about August 2008 to
8 > > > > current
9 > > > > > > -- including updating baselayout and openrt and now when I boot
10 > > I
11 > > > > get
12 > > > > > > a series of messages quite early in the boot modprobe: fatal
13 > > /sys is
14 > > > > > > not mounted. Eventually it does boot and all seems to work with
15 > > the
16 > > > > > > exception of the script for my hsfmodem, but I am curious as to
17 > > what
18 > > > > > > those message mean and if there is a way to fix them.
19 > > > > > >
20 > > > > > > Any assistance would be appreciated.
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > Did you include sysfs support to your kernel and do you have a
23 > > > > directory
24 > > > > > '/sys'? (SYSFS)
25 > > > > > This can be found in: File systems / Pseudo filesystems in the
26 > > kernel
27 > > > > > configuration.
28 > > > > >
29 > > > > > The '/sys' filesystem is as important as '/proc' these days.
30 > > > >
31 > > > > The plot thickens -- by the time I log in after booting, /sys is
32 > > > > mounted with the correct file system. Still very strange.
33 > > >
34 > > > Hmm... so, something does solve the problem you are seeing at the
35 > > > beginning later on.
36 > > > Did you update all the configuration files (including the ones in
37 > > > /etc/init.d/.. )?
38 > > > It could be that something there is not set correctly.
39 > > >
40 > > > For now, I am assuming the issue is in the boot-sequence/runlevel.
41 > > >
42 > > > Can you check which services are in your boot-runlevel?
43 > > > I have:
44 > > > bootmisc, checkfs, checkroot, clock, consolefone, hostname, keymaps,
45 > > > localmount, modules, net.lo rmnologin and urandom.
46 > > > Think these are the default ones.
47 > > >
48 > > > Do you use an initrd? If yes, did you update this as well?
49 > >
50 > > I regenerated the initrd, but I am still using 2.6.20 kernel which I
51 > > will update soon, but I wonder if this is the problem -- something
52 > > wrong with the initrd, but regenerating did not fix it. In my boot
53 > > level I have
54 > > bootmisc@
55 > > consolefont@
56 > > device-mapper@
57 > > fsck@
58 > > hibernate-cleanup@
59 > > hostname@
60 > > hwclock@
61 > > keymaps@
62 > > localmount@
63 > > modules@
64 > > mtab@
65 > > net.lo@
66 > > procfs@
67 > > root@
68 > > swap@
69 > > sysctl@
70 > > termencoding@
71 > > urandom@
72 > > in my sysinit I have
73 > > devfs@
74 > > dmesg@
75 > > udev@
76 >
77 > Do you have "device-mapper" in your boot-level?
78 > In that case, you might want to check which init-script mounts the '/sys'
79 > filesystem as this script requires the /sys filesystem to be mounted.
80 >
81 > May I ask why you have this added as I don't use it with my LVM drives.
82 >
83 I don't really need it, but it was auto added by the ebuild.
86 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
87 How do
88 you spend it?
89
90 John Covici