From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-apps/man-db depends to app-text/po4a
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:15:55
1 On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM, hogren <hogren@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Le Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:22:04 +0200,
3 > Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> a écrit :
4 >
5 >> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 07:37:14AM +0100, Stroller wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > On Sat, 11 October 2014, at 7:17 am, hogren <hogren@×××××.com>
8 >> > wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> > > …
11 >> > > Emerge try to compile sys-apps/man-db-2.6.6 and fails.
12 >> > > When I watched the build log, I saw that in the compilation
13 >> > > period, po4a is not found.
14 >> > >
15 >> > > I make an #emerge app-text/po4a, I tried again #emerge
16 >> > > @preserved-rebuild. It's ok.
17 >> > >
18 >> > > Is it correct if I file a bug about that ?
19 >> >
20 >> > Yes, absolutely.
21 >> >
22 >> > Thank you for your service.
23 >>
24 >> Actually: I think no.
25 >>
26 >> This is caused because you recently updated perl and there is some
27 >> version missmatch/dependency issue caused by it.
28 >> Run perl-cleaner --all (and emerge -v1 $(qlist -CI virtual/perl) if
29 >> you run into issues).
30 >> The missing dependency (app-text/po4a) will get pulled along the way
31 >> (did so a few hours ago).
32 >
33 > Hello,
34 >
35 > Thank you for your response (even if I read the bug [41124] before).
36 >
37 > I have a question.
38 > Is there the same problem on other rolling release OS like Arch ? Or
39 > even Debian Testing ?
40 > If there is'nt, how do they do ? what is the gentoo particularity which
41 > make it no possible ?
42 >
43 > It's not difficult for me to run perl-cleaner, even if I forget to read
44 > output of last upgrades (I have an old laptop and when I upgrade, I
45 > execute "emerge -uD world; halt" and go to my bed :) ). But I just want
46 > to understand the problem.
47 >
48 > Thank you !
49
50 I assume they would have a similar issue on their build machines. They
51 would have to rebuild all packages which depend on perl when changing
52 major versions.
53
54 As an end-user, you would not notice it because the new packages just
55 get pulled down automatically.
56
57 It's the difference between a source-based distro (Gentoo) and a more
58 traditional distro (Debian, Arch, etc).