From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:33:07
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:59:30 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> <SNIP>
8 >>> Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either
9 >>>> switch to another distro
10 >>> <SNIP>
11 >>>
12 >>> Just remember, with distros it's the device you know for the devil
13 >>> you don't know...
14 >>>
15 >>> I don't understand why any of this /usr /udev stuff is bothering
16 >>> you. Do you really use a separate /usr? Aren't you on stable like
17 >>> me or are you on ~amd64?
18 >>>
19 >>> Good luck. I'm positive you'll come to your senses about this Ubuntu
20 >>> nonsense! ;-)))
21 >>>
22 >>> Cheers,
23 >>> Mark
24 >>>
25 >>>
28 >> My plan was to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and everything else on
29 >> LVM. That would incluse /usr, /usr/portage, /var and /home. I have
30 >> not done that yet because doing it would force me to make a choice
31 >> very soon since this mess is coming pretty soon.
32 >
33 > That's easy to fix. It takes a while and it's mind-numbingly boring,
34 > but it's easy.
35 >
36 > All you need is a decent amount of free disk space as you will shuffle
37 > things around just like in that 15 pieces game.
38 >
39 > Assuming / is the first (or second) partition on a disk:
40 >
41 > Measure how much data is on the file system.
42 > Measure how much data is on the /usr file system.
43 > Move partitions after / on the disk out of the way creating enough free
44 > space to contain current / and /usr.
45 > Enlarge / partition, enlarge the file system on it, copy contents
46 > of /usr there.
47 > Arrange the rest of your disk the way you want it (either with or
48 > without LVM, both are easy enough to do).
49 > Move the rest of your data back to it's final destination.
50 > Delete any last remnants of the old /usr partition.
51 >
52 > And all your worries about initramfs will go away. Trust me (no, not
53 > because I sell used cars, but because I do this for a living and have
54 > done it several times)
58 Right now, I doubt my current / partition can hold all the /usr stuff.
59 It would require a complete undoing then redoing, like you just laid
60 out. I have done this before but I would like to only have to do it
61 once and be done. That is why I want to use LVM for everything but /
62 but if I could get this to work right, I wouldn't mind having / on LVM
63 too.
64
65 Right now, I have very little confidence in this init thingy and me
66 getting it to work much less able to fix it even it doesn't boot for
67 some reason.
68
69 < sighs >
70
71 Dale
72
77 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
78 how you interpreted my words!
79
80 Miss the compile output? Hint:
81 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"